One of the best ways to ensure a good trading routine during the twenty-four hours is to build a good routine during the morning. How nosotros origin our twenty-four hours as well as then oft sets the musical note for that day. That way nosotros tin either origin the twenty-four hours focused or distracted; disciplined or lax; prepared or unprepared. I choose long maintained that 1 of the best ways of identifying successful traders is to expose what they are doing when they’re non trading.
Today’s best exercise comes from Steve Spencer of SMB Trading, as well as it involves establishing a productive forenoon routine: 1 that prepares both the trader as well as the trading:
“I choose a routine that begins from the 2nd I walk into the role each morning. It is designed to both choose me focused as well as prepared to merchandise the States equities marketplace opened upwards at 9:30 AM. It has evolved over the by few years every bit my responsibilities choose broadened exterior of my ain personal trading to include preparing the desk for the twenty-four hours as well as dealing amongst non trading matters every bit well.
Here is the electrical flow listing of things I do each forenoon after arriving at the office:
1) Fill upwards my H2O jug (hydration is 1 of the keys to mental alertness)
2) Restart computer
3) Open Gr8Trade (proprietary equities platform)
4) Open LiveVol (options platform); if whatsoever options merchandise ideas, opened upwards related Level II boxes
5) Open eSignal (external charting software)
6) Login to SMB RT (proprietary trading tools)
6a) Open game programme (form used to instruct inward my trading ideas)
6b) Fill inward 2nd twenty-four hours as well as technical plays (ideas based on prior inquiry as well as preparation)
7) Enter alerts for 2nd twenty-four hours plays into Gr8Trade (pop upwards alerts if stock trades at fundamental prices)
8) Open SMB Scanner (research tool for finding stocks inward play)
9) Complete game play sail amongst Stocks inward Play ideas
10) Enter piece of work yesteryear trading ideas into mag (important for after review process)
11) Ideas must include entries/stops/targets/risk amount
12) Options ideas are entered inward margin at the piece of work yesteryear of the page
13) Conduct AM coming together (discuss marketplace as well as piece of work yesteryear trading ideas for the day)
14) Enter orders for Stocks inward Play ideas discussed at AM meeting; input ideas into machine scripts to assist entries if marketplace busy on open
The next items assist convey me dorsum into focus for the marketplace open:
15) Two minutes of breathing exercises
16) Put on RT microphone (audio feed for desk as well as SMB community)
17) Discuss piece of work yesteryear trading ideas as well as programme via audio
18) Share whatsoever stocks/important levels from the chat that are interesting
So that is my entire forenoon routine. The thing that has changed the virtually of late is my powerfulness to instruct inward diverse scripts that volition allow me to merchandise a diversity of trading setups during busy marketplace times that I otherwise powerfulness choose missed. I expose that inward today’s market, if you lot immature lady for sure entries correct at the open, it tin touching on your adventure taking for the residual of the day. The scripts are also a keen tool to back upwards me on days where other responsibilities line me off the desk.”
Notice how Steve’s forenoon routine accomplishes 2 purposes. First, it organizes his twenty-four hours as well as determination making. He identifies as well as prioritizes opportunities during his training as well as so is able to deed apace as well as decisively when trades truly laid up. Second, the routine enables Steve to procedure an unusually large amount of data inward a concentrated menstruation of time. Note his job of custom tools for much of his preparation. These enable him to enshroud for opportunities as well as computer programme them for activity (via scripts as well as alerts).
Finally, expose that Steve’s routine is a combination of private data processing as well as processing inward a group. His training enables him to convey ideas to other traders, but also sets upwards conversations that convey him ideas. Over the course of report of a unmarried day, Steve is exactly encountering to a greater extent than trading opportunities than virtually traders–and that makes it to a greater extent than probable that he tin focus on the best ones as well as maximize his results.
Further Reading: Simple vs. Simplistic Decision Making inward Trading